Monday, December 17, 2007

17 Advent


We had our Christmas event with about 20 young people tonight, it was really wonderful. 5 stations looking at the key characters in the story and a great reworked version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by GKJ sung in between each station.

1. We were met by Mary who told us what it was like to get the news she was expecting and how she decided to trust God- the question was what were we trusting God with this Christmas? We had to write the answer to this on a bauble and take it to hang on the tree.

2. We were thinking about God with a keynote presentation that looked at why God did what he did through Jesus - we then had to text a response to that and were given the picture above for wallpaper on our mobiles. (The picture was created by one of our girls in Cafe led by Nicki and Emma on God as light of the world, using an LED light and slow exposure! Cool)

3. The shepherds risked everything by leaving their sheep, it cost them a lot to go and visit the baby but nothing held them back - what is holding us back from spending time with Jesus this season? We made a pipecleaner symbol of the answer and left it in the field with the sheep.

4. Joseph showed extreme commitment to Mary, defying all the social conventions of the day and then going on the run - what does God want us to be committed to? We wrote it down on a paper chain link and joined them together as a community.

5. The wise men faithfully followed the star in order to worship the baby king - will we worship? We met a new baby and listened to "Light of the world".

It was really magical and the kids clearly had a good time, it very very sacred and real and having a little baby brought the whole thing to life even his cries!

Light of the world you stepped down into darkness,
opened my eyes let me see.
Beauty that made this heart adore you,
hope of a life spent with you.

Here I am to worship, here I am to bow down
here I am to say that your my God
You're altogether lovely, all together worthy
All together wonderful to me

Kind of all days oh so highly exulted,
glorious in heaven above.
Humbly you came to the earth you created,
all for loves sake became poor.

So here I am to worship, here I am to bow down
here I am to say that your my God
You're altogether lovely, all together worthy
All together wonderful to me

I'll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross.
And I'll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross.
No I'll never know how much it cost to se my sin upon that cross.

No comments: