Sunday, December 16, 2007

16 Advent


Saying "no" is a harder lesson to learn for some than others but this season gives us plenty of chance to practice!

On Thursday as I scrapped ice off the car windscreen I looked longingly down the street at the frosty white fields and the pink sky that hung heavily over them. All of my being wanted to tramp off for a walk but instead I got into the car drove to Luton and spent an unproductive and frustrating day in the office.

I should have said no to all the "I should do's", I have a job that allows me time out and heaven knows I'm always telling the team "if you are giving out you need time to receive, to fill up again". Re-tellling the story of Thursday morning I went for the walk, found peace, space for my tired brain and re-framing for the last week and a half of term. As it was I short changed both my brain and my soul and came down with a cold the next day and feel sure not listening was one of the reasons why. I may be quite good at refusing offers and invitations from people but I need to listen to the inner "no" and learn to trust it.

As we hear about those seeking the baby Jesus, we are reminded it's a good thing for us to do too. Maybe if I'd have followed the example of the shepherd's last Thursday would have been different. The Christ Child has much to teach us about balance right through his life. The adult Jesus would often retreat from all the "should do's", to leave the crowds - no matter how dependent - to seek out a holy space to be and pray.

I hope this advent will give us ears to hear our "no's" above all the "yes's" and a space to look at creative ways we can follow His example.

No comments: