Sunday, December 09, 2007

09 Advent


Mr Flower and I went to a brilliantly packed and chaotic Christingle at All Saints this afternoon, about 150 people filled the church and the majority of those were children.

It was great to remember the symbolism behind the Christingle and I especially loved the four sticks for the seasons and the fruits of creation, something I value so much about living here in the UK. The service also gave us chance to give thanks for the village and to think about how we can make it an even better place to live for future generations.

The highlight of the service though was when the children came and stood in the aisles which make a cross in the centre of the church. Christingles were lit and the church lights turned out. In the flickering candle light we sang Away in a Manger, the children leading the singing. It was all I could do to hold back tears, a very special moment which raised the Christmas spirit for the first time this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds heavenly! Very life affirming and full of hope and the joy of the season. I'm still waiting to get into the Christmas spirit - the flu is making it quite impossible at the moment, and I so much enjoy the season of Advent as a rule. However, reading this entry from you makes me think I might be able to get my head round some advent reading now. love Wicked xx