Monday, April 23, 2007

St George's Day


It was a strange day...I saw some lovely words on maybe.org.uk site from a poem about England (it's now been taken down and am trying to find out what it was) and it echoed the passion I feel about this small but perfectly formed island with it's beauty from tropical beaches (Cornwall) to snowy peaks (I think the Malverns qualify as these) and you can so see why Elgar and Worthworth and all the artisans have been inspired down the years.

It is an incredible place to live but then as I was walking home from work last night amidst the St George's bedecked revellers I heard what I mistook to be 'Give Me Oil in My Lamp' being bellowed from The Heights pub. Knowing the odd pint of beer and spiritual moments to be happy drinking partners, my heart was naively touched until I got closer and realised it was not "Sing Hosana" but "No surrender, no surrender, no surrender to the IRA" the darkness of their joy made me shiver and mourn how far England, our England had still to come.

No comments: