Wednesday, December 12, 2007

11 Advent

Yesterday we held an RE day for Year 7 exploring Christmas, with 180 kids we had our work cut out. We had an art session exploring hopes and fears of the season, a game deciding on our beliefs about giving and greed and a drama session imagining how the nightly news would have reported it if Jesus had been born in a garage in Luton!

As ever it was a case of out of the mouths of babes (or devils pre horn and tail formation), my favourite comments were...

"I wish Jesus would be born in Luton today!" "Why?" "Because he can do miracles" - it certainly felt like we could have done with a few of those keeping order!!

In answer to "What gift would you take the baby Jesus?", "Cheese" - along with a neat sketch of a holey slice, a little too much festice Wallace and Grommit?

A particular highlight was the drama group which had a Marsh Farm Chav visiting Jesus and bringing a spliff - can't argue with the characterisation!

And one of the liveliest characters (for which read I haven't taken my ritalin today)turned to me and said "I wish I could be a Christian" when I asked him why he said "then I could come to church!" "Oh, you don't have to be a Christian to go to church" I said somewhat taken aback, "Really?" he said wide eyed, "then I'm going to come at Christmas."

Then I read the following ...

In The Challenge of Cultural Influence, John Seel writes: The cultural crisis is first and foremost a church crisis—a crisis of discipleship. It is a scandal that nonbelievers perceive Christians as just another special interest group or market niche rather than those who are drawing on the resources of the kingdom of heaven in order to demonstrate the power of truth lived with overwhelming love.

Our challenge this advent season, almost makes 80 miles, pregnant, on a donkey look easy!

No comments: