Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Food for thought



I have a problem with this book, it has one of the greatest opening paragraphs I've ever read...










'He stands at the glass looking out. The city spreads below
him, blanketed in foggy slumber. Low pressure. Clouds roll
over the hills, seeping out of cracks and crevices as if the
geography itself was sending smoke signals'.

Geography sending smoke signals ...how cool is that metaphor?!

But in my experience the title is a complete lie...it won't save your life, in fact it's likely to reduce your days. Why? the wretched front cover...it's all embossed and tactile, fabulous glossy colours it's so goo you could eat it. Everytime I pick it up I'm left screaming for krispy kremes. Not good for the waistline, cholesterol level, skin should I go on?

The book however, is great for the brain and imagination ... once you get inside the front cover!

1 comment:

Alina said...

:) thanks for lending this to me! i've only read a little bit so far but it's interesting already. I'm attempting to write a paragraph or two about each book I read - that's on lotsobooks.blogspot.com but I'm really rubbish at remembering to write about them so there's only a few reviews so far...