Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Surreal Summer So Far!

Wow, I'm exhausted in a totally and utterly brilliant way and we're only just 3 weeks into summer holidays. I'm hoping it's going to slow down from here on in though!

Face the Fish our summer camp was awesome, in truth I couldn't say I really enjoyed the experience, it was too hard work but it was incredible in everyway! I learnt so much about kids, God and me. Young people can be so profound and being able to give them the space to explore the spiritual side of life in a relevant way was such a privilage. The most bizarre point had to be sitting in a wheelie bin of gunge, lid closed, listening to the band play and thinking "boy, I did not expect to be HERE 18 months ago when I wondered where my life was going"! It has been a mindblowing year at LCET and I think I still have a long way to go to come to terms with all that's happened, I kind of feel like my soul is reeling - in a good way. My husband commented that I have become more confident, sure of my opinions and beliefs and more me, which has to be a good thing.

Straight after camp it was a dozy dash to Gloucestershire for a trip round the garden at Highgrove, Prince Charles' estate. It was amazing nothing like I expected (formal English, some cottage but very conservative - not sure why I thought this!?). A magical haven of bold (the black and white garden), fun planting (the stumpery) with stunning buildings from a treetop playhouse to his-and-hers oak temples to the sanctuary for one, with wonderful icons, a place to contemplate and be inspired like so much of the garden. There is incredible artwork paying homage to the likes of St George, Ted Hughes and one of the Prince's dogs. The whole place has a feeling of peace, of life, of beauty and, to me, the presence of God.

Serious amounts of washing later, I was off again for a weekend at the WI's Denman Collage, for a course entitled 'Singing can be even more fun'! It was part of my birthday present from Mum and we shared a charming room, had a great time and a chance to be really proud of each other - not that we aren't anyway! A group of 16, a real range of talent and ability, we did lots of harmony singing including Handel! And had to do solo singing in front of each other which was very scary ...especially as I didn't realise you had to bring music and songs you were familiar with, copies for the pianist etc and I had nothing. At these moments singing did not feel particularly fun as the tutors were no help at all. However, all was forgiven when I got a really good criticism of my singing and urged to do lots more whether solo/lessons/a choir or "whatever, just sing"! I've so wanted to sing since leaving school and even at church, though it was great to serve in the worship group, felt I was largely overlooked but just assumed I wasn't really that much cop. However, to hear what you've always wanted to hear can be strangely painful and now I need to figure out what to do with this knowledge. The course also exorcised some demons from school days when after every concert I was subjected to a criticism of what didn't work, what could have been better which would make the overly sensitive me cry all the way home in the back of the car. Mum was nothing but encouraging this weekend which was a relief!!

This week I plan to do nothing enjoy the sunshine, read and just be ... but who knows what might happen!

No comments: