Monday, June 13, 2005

Thank you for the music

Gingerkidjoe, his Mrs and I have got a good thing going ... at least me and the Mrs think so. He happened to mention she liked female singer song-writers and since I have a collection of such I bundled them up and duly sent them home with him. After few weeks they were returned along with some from Jess's collection and we're now on the third leg of this venture.

It's great all the benefits of buying several new CD's, without any of the cost, and if you don't like one you're not gutted and left wishing you'd picked the other one instead - you just hand it back!

It has made me realise that I should really be using my local library for weekly joy of such kind, especially as to have one here in the village is a bonus of the use it or lose it variety.

It has also confirmed my belief that the world is a very small planet and whatever industry you are in it's incestuous (sp?)
to a degree. For instance, Jess lent me Elliot Smith, a rootsy, heartfelt, West coast tinged album, then Joe informed me he was no longer with us. Then the new Ben Folds CD comes out (also heard by kind permission of sellersboy, such a bastion of good taste, musically at any rate, not sure about the one man mission to rival 'Supersize Me', only kidding!) and his thanks go to none other than the said Mr Smith ... the fabric of life is tightly woven I guess.

It also sadly unravels. Elliot Smith's death reminded me of Jeff Buckley and how many more like him for whom suffering won the battle over art. A strange oxymoron that creativity can be so destructive.

Cheers for the flickr tips too gkj!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thank you - although I would point out, I was merely trying to see if similar results would occur if I ate only Burger King for a month. We NEED to know if its just MacDonald's or all fast food chains. Next week, Wimpy (that's sacrifice). Oh, and just to add to the music incest, Mrs Gingerkidjoe's favourite band is Counting Crows whose lead singer Adam Duritz lists Ben Folds Five as his favourite band and gives them a nod in one of their songs. I worry I'm a geek. Maybe I should go all the way, buy a black T-shirt, grow some dodgy facial hair and wear a chain.